Tips in Selling Your Old Car in Melbourne
I know a lot of car owners in Melbourne who have successfully sold their scrap car on their own. However, the option to personally look for old car buyers is not an easy way to go. It requires a lot of effort for and you will inevitably experience some inconvenience along the way.
Nevertheless, if you’re the type of person who has plenty of time to spare — or if you simply love to take the risks for the possibility of a high payoff, then, by all means, go ahead
As we said, this method of selling is quite risky. The chances of you crossing paths with a fraudulent buyer or a scammer are high. At best, the scammer could waste a lot of your time and at worst, you could lose your car without receiving payment.
In today’s blog post, we at Car Wreckers Melbourne will list down some of the tips and guidelines for you to follow. I hope that by reading this, you would gain more knowledge about ways to avoid fake car buyers and scammers.
Before meeting with a potential buyer
Before you meet with your prospective buyers or someone who would be taking a look at your auto, take a look at some of the guidelines that I have listed beneath. Once you do take the information in, it is possible that the entire procedure of offering an old or unwanted vehicle will go ahead with no issues.
- Tip 1: Gather all the necessary paperwork before you start putting your old car up for sale. You will need to have the title, warranty (if it is still valid), bill of sale, as well as the maintenance receipts and records.
- Tip 2: Clean the car. Nobody wants to purchase a car that looks like it went through a 2 month trip across the Amazon. So either clean it or take it to the nearest carwash for a good washing and get it shined as well. Don’t neglect the insides. Remove any dirt, unnecessary items, and other personal things that might be hiding under the seats.
- Take a lot of good photos. Before posting ads, take several photos of your car from the front, sides, rear, and possibly below. Take photos of the interior as well. By doing so, you will increase your chances of getting viewed by potential buyers as humans are visual creatures by nature.
- Write full and detailed descriptions of your car. When posting to online buy and sell sites, make sure to include all the necessary details about your car. Be honest and include any mechanical or physical issues of your car if it has any.
Meeting with the potential buyer
If you’re lucky enough, a few potential buyers will contact you. When they do, you have to set a convenient time and date for a meeting. At this point, you are one step ahead of achieving your goal: selling your used car. However, this stage is also among the riskiest. Heed our tips below before you head out.
- Tip 1: When setting a meeting place, ask the driver if they would like to come to your place instead. If that is not possible, meet them at a public place with lots of people around. Take a close friend or relative with you if possible.
- Tip 2: Allow the driver to do a test drive the old auto but make sure to accompany them. Never let a buyer drive the car alone unless you want your car to get damaged or stolen. Moreover, before he/she begins driving, tell the buyer that they will be responsible if they damage the car during the test drive.
- Tip 3: After the test drive, don’t forget to get the keys and lock the doors before stepping outside the vehicle.
If you have any unwanted truck for sale, then you need to communicate with best truck dealers around area and these company called as cash for trucks Melbourne. They will buy and pick up truck on same day.
Closing the deal
After your meeting with the buyer and doing some test drives, they finally say “I’d like to buy your car!” What do you do? Do you hand over everything and walk with your cash away? Not so fast! Unlike some Melbourne auto wreckers organizations who do legitimate deals, some private buyers may try to trick you. Here are some tips for securing a deal the safest way possible.
- Tip 1: Ask for the buyer’s identification documents. This is important because you want to guarantee that they are who they say they are. Ask for several photo-bearing IDs and some supporting documents.
- Tip 2: Get all the necessary documents regarding your used auto. Be prepared to hand over the original title as well as other papers including the CoF (Certificate of Fitness) or WoF (Warrant of Fitness).
- Tip 3: Do not hand over the keys and the title of ownership to the buyer until you receive the payment in full. If they pay in cheque, wait until the bank encashes it. Depending on the bank, this could take a few minutes to a few days. Inform the buyer or better yet, go to the bank together.
- While cash payments are ideal, go to the nearest bank to get it deposited to your account. Count the cash in front of the buyer and let the bank teller deposit it to your bank account. This way, you’re making sure that the cash is real and not counterfeit money.
- Once payment has been made, do your part and sign or hand over all the necessary paperwork to the buyer. Inform the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency or any similar agencies in your area that the vehicle has been sold and is no longer yours.
Selling your car to private buyers involves a lot of patience and risks. Doing everything by yourself is not easy, but if you do everything right you can get the highest cash for old cars in Melbourne. However, if you don’t have the luxury of time or if you don’t want to spend too much on repairs and ads, then try looking for car wreckers in Melbourne and nearby areas.
Contact the nearest auto wrecking and get a free price quote, free car removal, and get paid in cash on the spot!